Wednesday, June 28, 2006

news from the front

So, it looks like the best thing that may have happened to me at the recent ALA conference took place when I wasn't even there! The Year of the Dog was one of the titles considered during the ALA Notable discussions (where they debate which books they want to be on the notable list) and the grapevine gossip has been pretty positive. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but I'll admit to a couple of citation daydreams.

And those daydreams are what keep me from throwing myself overboard. ALA was an overwhelming experience...the sheer number of books being produced makes it a minor miracle to be able to even to find my own. However, the joy is in the journey--while looking for my own books I ran into a couple that I just loved. I look forward to buying when they hit the stores:

Steal Back the Mona Lisa, by Meghan McCarthy: This is hilarious, a fun story with factual info. I am jealous that my mind cannot work in this inventive way.

Yoon and the Christmas Mitten, by Helen Recorvits, Gabi Swiatkowska : A lovely story, if a tad bit wordy, but the art is absolutely gorgeous. I think Gabi will win a Caldecott in the next couple of years.

Chowder, by Peter Brown: have to love that dog! Makes me want to be a bulldog owner.

No comments: