Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Robert Salvatore Mercer


Our dearly beloved Robert passed away on Monday, August 27, 2007 at the age of 35. Robert, with his great passion for life, accomplished many dreams. With a Bachelor in Architecture degree from Rhode Island School of Design and a Master of Architecture degree in Urban Design from Harvard University, he led a successful career including work with world-renowned architect Frank Gehry. He was a remarkable man who battled Ewings Sarcoma Cancer for over five years with strength, spirit, and determination. After being diagnosed, Robert and his wife founded Robert's Snow: for Cancer's Cure, which to date has raised more than $200,000 for cancer research.

Robert was blessed with wonderful parents, Anna Valente and Edward Mercer, a loving wife and soulmate Grace Lin, his sister Alison (husband Garry Butler), his brothers Tam and Greg, and an adoring grandmother Angela Rossi Valente. Robert will be lovingly remembered by his aunt Vicki and uncle Tony Valente, his cousins Michael (wife Lori Martins) and Lisa, the Lin family, as well as his many relatives and friends. We wish to celebrate Robert’s life; we welcome all those friends and loved ones who want to celebrate with us.

Visitation at:
Centre funéraire Côte-des-Neiges
4525 Côte-des-Neiges road, Montréal
(514) 342-8000
on Thursday, September 6, 2007 from 4 to 9 p.m. and on Friday, September 7, 2007 from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. followed by a religious ceremony in the chapel of the funeral home at 10:30 a.m.

In lieu of flowers, we would ask that you make a donation, in Robert’s name, towards Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund
Attn: Lauren Nash 10 Brookline Place West, 6th Floor, Brookline, MA 02445-7226. Please make checks out to "Robert's Snow."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words just never seem say quit what I would like them to in these circumstances. . .but I just want you to know that I am so very very sorry for your loss.

I am so honored to be participating in Robert's Snow for the first time this year. . .

You and your loved ones are in my prayers. . .

KernFace said...

Grace, I met you at the NATWA II conference last year. I didn't know you were married or that your husband was battling cancer, you were just a strong, successful and inspiring TA woman. My heart breaks for you and your family. I am so very sorry.

Lady Strathconn said...

All I can say is, I am so sorry.

Unknown said...

I can't really express how sad I feel for you. My heart and thoughts are with you and your family, Grace.

Unknown said...

When Jon forwarded me this link I was instantly shocked. Oh my god Grace, I am so sad to hear this terrible news. I know we have not spoke really since College, but I want you to know my thoughts are with you.

I am so sorry to hear about this.

All My love and Sympathy,

Dan Brennan

Ann Downer-Hazell said...

Grace, I drive down your street and think about you, and wonder how you are doing. I am sending all warm wishes your way. I am reading Year of the Dog now, too, and wonder if I can send you my shelf full of Ruth Chew books I bought in Maine a few summers ago. Yours if you want them.

Ginger*:) said...

Dear Grace, You have a gift that will keep on giving to many, many people of all ages. In your giving you will be keeping the memory of Robert's beautiful life alive. Your gracious smile welcomes all who meet you.
'Robert's Snow'remains center stage on the bookshelves of those who know you and on the bookshelves of those who come to know you. Your tributes to Robert are as precious as the delicate snowflakes that will soon be falling. I will never see a snowflake without saying a prayer for you, Robert, and all who battle this disease.

G said...

I was a classmate of Robert's at Harvard. I did not know him well; we shared a studio, I think. My desk was near his and we talked about music and about baseball. He was, I recall, a devoted Montreal Expos fan, probably one of the few. I remember him as a kind and gentle person, one of the few I'd met at the GSD.

I was so sad to read that he'd passed.

I am so very sorry for your loss.


I am