Sunday, July 30, 2006

summer school

Last week I was invited to read at a summer program in Cambridge.

Since it is the summer, I quite wasn't sure how interested the kids would be. So, when I began my temperature-testing introduction it was with a bit of trepidation. This intro is my special way of starting my presentation so I know what I'm in for. It goes like this:

"Hello, first graders!" I say.
"Hello!" they say.
"Do you know who I am?" I ask, bracing myself, "Who am I?"

Now if that question is met with silence or odd expressions, I know I am in for a rough time. Usually, I break out into a cold sweat and then I do everything short of dance with a monkey to try to engage the kids. I think most authors would agree that there are very few worse fates than trying to do an author visit with students who don't know (or care) who you are...

But, at this visit, I knew I was going to be okay because, at the appropriate time, all the kids yelled, "GRACE LIN!"

phew!

Their teacher was relieved too, considering all the work she had done to get them ready for my visit. Not only had she gotten them excited about our kite project (making kites just like my book Kite Flying). She also had them plant Chinese vegetable seeds (like in The Ugly Vegetables):




And paint their favorite foods (like in Dim Sum For Everyone!):



Thank you, teacher!

No comments: