Thursday, February 15, 2007

layouts

I just received layouts for The Red Thread. This book was quite a challenge for me; and there were many times I regretted taking it on as I felt my style might not be the best match for it. However, now looking at the spreads, I'm pleasantly suprised how well it came together.


It's what I call an adoption fairytale, inspired by the Chinese belief that all people who are destined to be together are connected by an invisible red thread. In my story, a fictional king and queen are pulled by a red thread from their hearts over mountains and oceans to find a baby at the end. They adopt the baby and make her a princess of their kingdom. This is the end scene,



and detail.

10 comments:

Paige Keiser said...

Oh my goodness!! I remember your story from several years ago about your adventures in getting your first book published, Dim Sum For Everyone. That was so inspiring! Congrats on all of your success, Grace :-)

Geri said...

Grace,
This book will definitely be a must have in the adoption world - of which I am a proud parent of Asian children. I will get the word out about his beautiful looking book. Thank you.

Lady Strathconn said...

This book looks wonderful. I can't wait till it comes out. I am going to send it to my cousin and his wife. They adopted the most wonderful girl from China 4 years ago. And that whole nature/nurture thing? She is totally their kid. She even looks like them!

I know I am going to cry when I read it.

alvinaling said...

I love it!

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Red threads. It's a Japanese belief, too. I remember hubby said something about it before we married. (Me in Texas, him in Japan). I'll have to check with him but I think the threads connect hands.
The illustrations are lovely, Grace.

Grace Lin said...

In the Chinese belief the thread is tied by the ankles, but I took some "artistic license" as it just didn't seem to have the meaning I wanted if the king and queen were dragged by the ankles...:)

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Me again. Just wanted to complete a thought. Hubby said that here in Japan the red threads link pinkies.

Rita said...

INCREDIBLE.

Charlene said...

When exactly will The Red Thread be published? I can hardly wait to read it to OUR little Chinese princess! The artwork looks just beautiful and will be much appreciated by all in the adoption community. Thanks so much for this new addition. I'm sure it will again be a favorite of our family.

Brian W. Dow said...

Hi Grace,
This is a wonderful idea for a book. When is it coming out and who will it be published by? Just wondering where the idea for this fairytale came from. Is it a retelling?
Thank you.